TIPSY Today™ with Rogena — Home of Anything GRAMMAR™ — A Footprint of RMJ Manuscript Service LLC
TIPSY TODAY with Rogena
Let's talk about what I like when I receive a file for EDITING. The file sent to me should be pretty simple and plain.
Without further ado, here are
MY Preferred Submission
Requirements & Guidelines.
***IF you do your own formatting,
please note some of your formatting
might be lost when the file is
changed to meet these guidelines.
1) MS Word Document (DOCX preferred) – I edit using 6x9 Page Size (or as small as 5x8) for editing and I use MS Word Track Change when editing.
2) Font - 10-12pt Serif Typeface (Times/Georgia, etc. – no straight line fonts such as Arial/Helvetica)
3) Indents - .3 to .5 inch indents (No Tabs) for paragraphs.
4) Margins - .57 to .75 inch margins – top, bottom, sides & Left Justified, no gutter, no page mirroring. (LJ for eBooks–Formatting for print book will then be changed to Justified.)
5) Line Spacing - Relaxed, 1.15, or 1.5 Line Spacing (IF you use indents for your paragraphs, do NOT use extra spacing between paragraphs.)
6) NO Extra Returns between paragraphs, unless for a scene break. (Be sure to mark scene breaks using asterisks *** - not just with a line of white also known as a hard return. Otherwise, I might delete that line if it isn't obvious that it's a scene break.)
7) Single spaces at the end of sentences (rather than old school two spaces.)
8) Page Breaks – ALWAYS use the Page Break option in MS Word. Do NOT use returns to get to the next page.
9) Chapter Headings – All chapters should be clearly marked.
10) Bold or Underlining should NOT be used within your manuscript (even for text messages — texts should be in the same font as the rest of the manuscript. Use colons and no quotation marks for texts.)
11) Ellipsis... will be typed like this... three 'periods' with no space before and one space after; except no space after ellipsis prior to end punctuation. [[Exceptions made upon request.]]
12) Hyphens & Em Dashes—no hyphens except in hyphenated words. Use the longer Em Dash—no space before or after. (Refer to Chicago Manual of Style on when to use hyphens, en dashes, and em dashes.)
These changes will be made upon receiving your manuscript if the file does not meet these requirements already. IF you do your own formatting, please know I respect the work it took to do any pre-formatting, but my focus needs to be on editing. To do that, I need a fairly clean document to work from and shouldn't need to worry about formatting... unless I am also doing the formatting for you.
Be sure to check with your editor to find out what their submission requirements are... my list has grown as I have learned what works best over time.
Feel free to share! #TipsyToday
Rogena Mitchell-Jones Manuscript Service
TIPSY TODAY with Rogena © RMJ MS 10/28/14
Like. Share. Tweet.#TipsyToday #Grammar #WriteTip
TIPSY Today™ with Rogena Blog
Home of Anything GRAMMAR™
Rogena Mitchell-Jones — Editing & Formatting
RMJ Manuscript Service LLC
Services & Rates
BLOG, shopping, and More
Birds of a feather flock, fly, and soar together.